Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Flash Fiction - Wednesday





Wednesday Night

How in the world did I get roped into this?  All I did was tell Steve that I liked Linda.  Well, I liked the look of her because I had never met her. 

"You know what night this is?"  Steve asked me in my mom and dad's kitchen.

I was sure he was going to enlighten me when I gave him a blank stare and then said, "Sure, Wednesday."

"It's the dance at the Rec Center at Raynor Park.  They'll be dancing until ten o'clock."

"Oh, I forgot about that."  Why would I remember?  I'd only been to it twice the whole school year. I opened the fridge and took out an apple.  After fetching a knife from the block on the counter, I started to peel it.  "You want one?"

"Sure, thanks." 

I handed him one unpeeled.  I already knew he liked it that way.  "So, you going?"

"So are you."

"Really, I don't really like it.  I just stand around."

"I called Linda and asked her if she was going."  He tore a huge chunk from the apple and sat down at the table.

"Yep, first she said she didn't think so.  Then I told her you were going to be there.  She said then she would go." 

He looked so smug.  What nerve.  I was amazed at him and pleased at the same time.  "Okay.  What time does it start, six-thirty?"

I straightened my tie and picked a small piece of apple from my tooth I saw in the mirror.  Dabbed a little hair Cream on my cow-lick and headed out the door.

I got there about six-forty-five and could hear the music from the grass.  Inside, the music was blaring.  But, no one was on the dance floor.  I shifted around and headed for the large orange drink container, and there was Linda.

She was nearly as tall as I was with light auburn hair that swept down across her face, over one eye and waved next to her small aristocratic nose.  She wasn't particularly a busty girl, but the deep blue dress was tight, and just above the well-pleated top she had an embroidered red rose that accented her hazel eyes. 

I sidled up alongside the cooler on the other side.  "Hi, Linda.  Would you like a drink?"

Linda locked her gaze on me and smiled.  "Sure, thank you."

I fumbled for a glass and knocked over the whole stack of about ten.  Thank goodness they were plastic as they uncoupled and rolled all over the top of the folding table.  Linda was quick and corralled several as I quickly gathered them up.  "Sorry,"  I stammered.  Then dutifully, I filled one up for her and handed it to her.

We stepped away from the table along the wall, and more kids were starting to get into the Twist.  I lost my tongue.  I was sure I brought it with me.  I had it a few minutes ago, but now nothing would come out of my mouth.  Just pink lemonade went in it.  We stood there watching the other kids gyrate.  

Then, the music stopped.  There was a short pause and then came The Monster Mash.  "Linda, would you like to dance?"

"Sure, I would love to,"  She said.  We set our drinks on the chairs and headed on to the dance floor.  It was wonderful, she was so graceful and somewhat reserved as she bent slightly at the knees and rose like a sinewave to drop again as her head waved gently side to side.  The song ended.


We stood there wondering what was coming next.  Then Blue Moon filled the Rec Center, and I took her in my arms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...