Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Flash Fiction - Quiet Time


Anabelle The Human, by DeviantArtist Kyendo


Quiet Time


My back began to itch.  I stretched to the right, arching my back, and rubbed it against the smooth bark.  It felt strangely comforting when I realized my eyes were closed.  Snapping them open I found myself sitting at the base of a large Madrone, small reddish berries lay strewn about on and under a thick carpet of leaves that defined the canopy of the tree to belie its evergreen status.  How did I come to be in this place? 

I drew in a breath of the moist mist obscuring the light and let it out as I clawed my way up the tree.  Strips of the thin red bark peeled away revealing the yellowish meat of the tree.  My knees felt stiff.  How long was I sitting here?  Once on my feet, I could smell the light pungent odor of the decaying debris from the trees composting the soil for next Springs renewal of life.   Most people think this is a miserable time of year when the trees drop their leaves, and their knurled branches protrude for the inspection of all.    I find the forest at this time of year curiously interesting.   The mist and cooling temperature with each passing minute told me it was mid-evening and the ground cover was beginning to give up its heat to the feral elements of the sky.

I had to smile as my disorientation faded and I realized that the Sun was just past its apex when I strode the path to this spot and sat at the base of the Madrone to soak up the quiet and reflect.  Reflection was short-lived as I had slipped into a deep slumber.   Could I have slept the whole afternoon away?  It seems so.  I hadn’t felt tired when I came out here.  Even so, I still feel drained, why is that?

“I’m sorry, Sharon.”  A familiar voice came to my mind.  I had forgotten her for the moment.

“Raven?”   Where was she?  “Raven, what are you doing?”  I looked around and found Raven floating up the path through the trees.  She blended in with the mist.  Her long tendrils of white hair flowed freely from her angelic features partially covering her bare torso terminating beyond her long slender feet.  She never had a fear of tripping as she never touched the ground.   She had told me before her exquisite body, flawless complexion and sparkling diamond eyes were a reflection of my own.  I have to admit when I look in the mirror after a bath that I am well apportioned, but otherwise, I don’t see it.  

“Raven, you left me.  That’s why I slumbered so thoroughly.”

“Yes, you were so quiet just sitting I thought I would explore.  You’re not angry with me, are you?”

“Oh no, that’s fine,” I assured her.  I knew there would be a few more days we could come out again before the snow fell.   “Do you want to join now?” 

“No.  I see the forest reaching for us.  They sense our departure and don’t want us to go.  So, few people extend caring for them the way we do this time of year.  They would hold us in place were they able.”

“It’s getting cold, and Mother will worry if we don’t go now.”

Raven extended her hand, and I took it.  I felt nothing although my hand gripped firmness and stopped before closing. 

“Hold my hand and fly me to the forest edge before we combine.  There is no wind today, and I love the caress of the air over my body.” 

I nodded.  I knew Raven would ask.  She always asks.  I squeezed her hand and took off running down the path with her in tow.   I sensed the forlorn forest reaching for us.   It knows we’ll be back. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice job - surprisingly reminds me of myself, and all the time my wife and I spend in the mountains around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, we just got us a new travel trailer. I look forward to a few days checking out the Guernsey Park. Perhaps later in the year.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful story to go along with the image. I wonder if there isn't a little bit of Raven in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, may be why the wife and I ride a motorcycle.

      Delete

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...