Wednesday, April 18, 2018

AGELESS - Flash Fiction


AGELESS

I jammed my surfboard in the light tan sand and kicked up a kerf to hold it.  It was the half-century mark for me and the last day in the surf.  After decades of weathering and soaking in the ocean brine, I had to admit it was wearing on me. 

A promise is a promise.  Karen asked me if I would stop surfing and fix the aging the elements had wrought on me.   I stayed it off as long as I could.  I did all the right things that forestalled wrinkles and rough skin.  I didn't smoke -anything.  I didn't drink alcohol.  I ate with moderation; not quite a vegan, still mostly vegetables.  Yet, my jowls were sagging, the skin on my arms and most the rest of me looked like a dried-out mud puddle.

I sat and leaned on my board.  I already had a buyer.  Tomorrow I would deliver it with a case of board wax that I would never use.  I see no point going back in the water this late in the day.  I'll just relax and listen to the lap of the surf, the cries of kid’s body surfing and the toddlers being held by their parents, knee high in the retreating tide as they splash the water into an arc of spray with the beat of their tiny arms. I had done the same with my kids over the years.

I don't feel as sad as I thought I would.  I can still come and enjoy the sunsets as I do now where the light dims with each blink washing the color from the beach till only the red glowing sky gives up its light just as the yellow sliver disappears below the horizon with a hiss.  

Hey, it's been a good ride.  I don't have any regrets.  Even as I pulled my surfboard from the sand, I have to smile.  What a great day, I couldn't have asked for more.

 I lean my board against the garage wall and peek in the kitchen.  Karen is sitting at the table drinking a Smoothie.  Then she sees me. "Honey, you're home."

"Yes, it was a fine day."

I feel the love as she comes over and hugs me.  "Happy Birthday."  Karen hands me a bright blue envelope.

"What's this?" I ask as I dig out the flap and pull a card from the inside.

"Something special for you."

"Aha, a gift card to the Smoothie Hut."  I can't help but smile at her.  I'm not really surprised though.

#

At the Smoothie Hut and went in together.  She knows her way around as having been here a couple time before.  A perky young woman around twenty-five greets us.  "Welcome to the Smoothie Hut.  What may we do for you today?"  She eyes my face, I'm sure she has some grand design for it.

"I don't really know.  What do you recommend?"  I ask her.

She takes the card from my hand and glances at it.   “Well,”  the girl strokes my chin and pinches my jowl.  "I think it would be best to smooth out your face and neck first.  We can work our way down to the arms and torso next visit."   She suggests in her sprightly fashion.

I'm okay with that, I guess, as I look at her flawless complexion, then at her name tag.  It says JENNY age 71.

3 comments:

  1. Fun - think I could use a Smoothie Hut visit or two myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'll have whatever she's having!

    ReplyDelete

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...