Tuesday, May 16, 2017

IN THE PAST - Flash Fiction

Here is a story I wrote based on a writing exercise that Vincent Ruiz posts every couple weeks on Google+.  It's based on a picture he finds and is limited to 600 words.  Sometimes, I have to think on it for several days before an idea comes to me.  Other times it flows.  Here is one from a couple months ago.  I hope you enjoy it. 


In The Past

"Is that really you, Grandma?"  Sixteen-year-old, Amy asked the silver haired stodgy woman standing by her side at the  Museum of Science.

"Yes, it is dear."

"Wow, Grandma, you were pretty,"  Amy hesitated and quickly amended.  "Not that you're not pretty now.  Just difference."

Silvertone smiled.  "That's fine, Dear.  That was a long time ago."

"What were the lines for?"

"Those were for laser tracking.  I was working at Compass Sports doing a sportswear shot at Nordstrom's when Dr. Samuel Roberts was shopping with his wife and saw my routine."

"The Dr. Roberts, trillionaire;  father of Techsapiens, the cyborg corporation?" 

"Yes, I was a contortionist, showing off the stretchability of the full body wear.  After the show, he came up to me and asked me if I could model my moves for his cyborg range of motion studies.  I told him I liked working for Compass.  Then he told me the pay.  So, there you have it."  She lifted one arm out and twisted an open palm in a circle. "Funny how much shorter my arms seem now they're so much bigger around."  She laughed.

"What about the light, and that thing in your hands?" 

"And the clear plastic shoulder pads, too?"

"Yea, those too."

"Didn't have them.  No backlighting, no mystifying ball thingy in my hands and no plastic shoulder pads.  I guess they added that stuff to jazz up the display.  At least, they have clothes on me for this?

Amy's eyes widened.  "You mean you didn't have clothes.  You were naked?"

"Yes, Dear.  I had marks and lines like you see here everywhere.  Even on the bottom of my feet."  Silvertone winked at her.  "How do you think I landed your Grandfather.  He was a joint development engineer for Dr. Roberts." 

"Wow, I had no idea.  I know Grandpa was an engineer, but guess I wasn't interested enough to pay attention to what he did."  Amy looked at her Grandma, "I'm sorry.  I'm glad I come here with you."

"That's okay,"  Silvertone assured her.  "Let's get on and see what else there is here to see.  I have to get home in time to fix Grandpa dinner."

As the pair turned to move on, the eye's on the display opened and watched the pair disappear around the corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...