Monday, May 22, 2017

Is my writing adequate?



In my reading, I have come across all sorts of advice, tricks of the trade, instruction on how to overcome common and shared conditions between writers.  These range from structure, grammar, plotting, outlining to writers block and feelings of inadequacy and other guilt tripping problems.

Some of those things I suffer with a little.  One of them that sticks out for me is adequacy.  From time to time I come across an author that I am practically in awe with their prose.  I suppose this points to voice.  They are quick witted.  They write with a easy flow that enables me to chew up chapters at a sitting.  Gee, I think, they are head and shoulders over where I am.  I don't feel like I will ever measure up to what they have accomplished.

That is okay, if I don't.  Readers are at all different levels, just as authors write at different levels.  The authors I admire are those where I can appreciate such skill and use them as a learning lesson; someone to try and emulate.  Even though it is said we are competing within a genre for readership, there are still those that will like what I write if I write it well.  Perhaps, my plots and subplots are not as complicated and vocabulary isn't as rich or have as many syllables as the artist I admire, but I'm not a slouch (completely).   However, that said, my writing is maturing and growing in skill.  My largest problem is my late start with fiction writing. 

Having a long career of writing white papers, technical manuals and prospectus doesn't translate well to invoking emotion, and making up people to live in a fictional fact based world that you will find interesting.  Because of that, I get a twinge occasionally that I'm not adequate to the task. 

That's it.  I got that off my chest.  Time to write.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...