Thursday, May 25, 2017

Marketing regarding Politics and Religion


I love a good book.  I love a good movie.  I have and have had some wonderful favorite actors and actresses.

As I sit and watch the evening news, one of my favorites suddenly becomes not so much so.  Why?  Why is it they feel the need to alienate half their audience over politics or religion?



I have wondered about that.  Americans are free to expound on any topic they wish.  We are free to protest in any form we chose.  That might be in the form of an interview on Chris Matthews or with Sean Hannity.  Celebrities have a built-in audience with their fan base.  Because of that, they are presented with a platform to  run off their mouth to a national audience.  



That is their right.  Then it is my right to stop purchasing their work, be that a book, movie or music download because they upset me with their personal values.  For instance, as a Vietnam veteran I have not spent a penny on anything to do with Hanoi Jane (Fonda).  These celebrities that have this national platform are wealthy.  They made their fortune on their efforts, like Gary Sinise and Madonna. I assume those like them are rich enough not to care if anyone still likes their work or not when they go on the record as being for or against one thing or another.



There are varying degrees of angst among people when they talk or write about politics and religion.  The things they put out range for a warm heart, ignorant of reality like Katy Perry spoke on last night, to outright treason like Hanoi Jane. 



How about the rest of us?  Those of us that are marketing to people to sell our books.  Those of us that want to increase our audience.  Those of us that are following the prescribed formula to get our work out into the hands of those that we hope will like what we've done and write a glowing review and pass on the word about us.  Most of us are not wealthy.  Why then would we post on the very platforms that we are trying to grow an audience material that will alienate a large segment? 



My thought is it's hot-buttons.  Something someone posts, or a breaking news report, or other some other item pushes a hot-button and we trip off line and have to write about our feelings about it post haste.  I know, don't know why, not everyone agrees with my philosophy on life.  I accept that.  I can still admire the person for what they have done or are striving to do.  Where I go off the tracks is when they rile on a stance contrary to mine and vilify me and those of my ilk for thinking otherwise.  I have unfollowed a few like that over the years.  I would be unlikely to buy or read one of their books.



What puzzles me is why would a person beat the drum on if Global Warming is real or not on their post in a writers discussion group or on their author web/blog page knowing they are going to upset part of their growing audience.  That seems counterproductive to me.  People that say negativity in posts, especially posts that devolves into personal attacks doesn't bother them isn't being honest with themselves or others.  I am a Navy Chief Petty Officer (retired) and none come any more thick skinned than those of my kind.  Yet, I get a pain in the chest when I start to read some of the that rotten stuff in a place I don't expect to see it. 



I have strong and passionate views on politics and religion.  My profile is benign, I think, when I say I'm a Republican and a Christian.  If one my hot-buttons gets punched it will never be posted here.  This is my author blog.  What I post here are thoughts on the trade of writing that also includes marketing. 



That takes us back to the beginning.  It makes no sense to alienate a hopeful audience and a growing following with overly passionate personal beliefs in posts where they don't belong.  I suppose a counter argument is that it is our personal beliefs is built into our writing and to post those feelings is okay.  To that, I suggest good writers have the ability to cross the aisle and get into the mind of a character that is contrary to our personal view.  If I were researching and need a strong counterview to my protagonists there are places online I can go and push a hot-button or two and get the responses I want.   But, not here.



If you see a point I might have missed here or disagree, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I make no mention of my politics or religion on any of my blogs. I am also careful about comments I make and likes I give - I stay in the middle. Like you I am passionate about some things in politics and religion but with my writing I am trying to entertain readers and sell books, nothing more. I wrote one political blog, one ever, I could not help myself, and it received no comments, and the least openings of anything I wrote last year - guess that showed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go out on a limb and suggest something pushed your hot-button to write what you did. Then response is light. I have another blog site I write my religious and political views. Mostly abandoned now I devote most my time to writing my novel. Like your single political blog, they receive little response. I think I write them mostly just to air my feelings. It's cathartic on some level to address what we think is stupid. It doesn't matter that anyone is paying attention or not.

      Delete

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...