Thursday, June 1, 2017

Road Trip


Tomorrow, the wife and I head out on a 7,200 mile road trip taking up the whole month of June.  Fortunately for me, I don't have the good sense to be worried about it.  It's all planned out, the RV serviced and repaired where needed.  Conceal carry permit is obtained and the camera charged.




A friend that knows that I am a writer asks me, "Oh, you're going chronical your journey?"  Suddenly, I felt silly.  That hadn't occurred to me.  I don't really expect much excitement or anything unusual to happen.  Who knows, I might be surprised.  I responded with a "Gee, I suppose I should."


There are some folks out there in the ether that post every little thing.  They go to the store and get home and post, "I bought gas today, 15.7 gallons."  Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind that.  There will be 47 comments, ranging from 2.3 gallons on the motorcycle to 48 gallons on the motorhome.  I grin and if I could have remembered what I got for gas yesterday I might have thrown it in there too.  But, I'm not that kind of poster.  I’m a greater commenter than I am to post originals.   


I like to think I’m posting something remotely interesting or thought provoking to somebody.  So why would I journal my road trip?  I suppose I would for memory, the scrapbook or for relatives that are interested.  There might be something of interest enough to post some comments about it when I get back as I expect not to have a lot of WiFi connections along the way. 


Being that this is the first time out in a motorhome, I don’t know what to expect entirely.  It’s an experiment.  I like to have my mobility freedom.  The thing is long.  It isn’t the sort of thing you run down to Safeway in for a bag of chips.  This long trip for a month ought to make up my mind as to how I feel about keeping the RV or trading it off for a trailer or chucking it all together
When out on a road trip on the Harley we hop off the road at a whim.  Something catches our eye, or we see the exit for the world’s largest ball of yarn.  I wonder if we will be as apt to do that with the motorhome. I will post a summary for those that are interested when I get back.
I’ll put on my writer’s cap and try to be observant of details and write those things up on this trip for future use.  I think that there is more value in the stories about a place than the place.  I’m not introverted, but I am not intrusive.  I’m not one to draw people out.  I know that isn’t the best way to be for a writer.  It is just the way I am so I suspect I miss out on some interesting material people might have to offer.  I will make an effort to get some engagement on this trip, to push my comfort zone out a little.  We’ll see how that goes.
Wish us luck. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...