Monday, July 10, 2017

6700 Miles


Hi all, we just got back.  This was one of our stops along our 7200-mile trek that we truncated to 6700 miles.  I won't bore you with a travel log at this point (leaving myself to do so later).

Overall, it was a super great trip and we learned a great deal about motor homing.  One of the many things I learned is my routine was blown all to hell.  I only wrote one evening in an RV park.  That means for a month I only wrote 600 words.

Why was my production so low?  As you could guess, I wrote so little is because of a number of things.  First and foremost is the same thing that I think gets most of us out of writing.  A break in our routine.

Authors and wannabees like me write about the pitfalls of not writing and what to do about it.  Getting motivated, writing junk until it jells into some coherent and so forth.  What I think is at the top of the list is structure, routine, a time and place consistently.

When we have a place where we are comfortable and a time where we expect to be productive and free of distractions our word count soars.  Get in a motorhome and head down the road thinking about how many miles we're going to make today, where will we dump if we don't rent a spot in an RV park and why isn't the propane on, doesn't give much time to think about that scene I want to write or how to weave in the next chapter with a new character that I'm going to introduce.

The break in routine doesn't have to be as dramatic as my trip.  One of the gals in my writing group commented, "I didn't write anything this past month.  I have relatives visiting."  At least, I got a short story of 600 words. Ain't I proud of myself. Ha...

Now I'm home.  Yet, my routine is broken.  I use to count on two days a week to write as I watched my granddaughter toddle around trying to stick her fingers in the outlets.  That's over.  I don't babysit anymore.  I have all kinds of remodeling projects going on.  I'm flooring, replacing windows, chopping on that darn stump that's been in the yard for two years.  When am I going to write?

I could write at night.  I've done that.  But (I admit it), I'm old.  I don't know when to quit and then I'm wasted the next day and everything else suffers.  I am still distracted.  I have the camera full of pictures from the trip to download.  I have a shoe box of receipts to sort and a ton of mail to review.

Sure, it's a matter of priority.  What's important to me and what's important to my wife.  Writing is way up toward the top of my list.  It is a little lower down (toward the bottom) for my wife.  So, there is that to consider.

There is so much to be said for stability in life.  I don't know what distracts you.  I suspect the more successful of us have one or more things going for them.  They are in a nice productive routine or so committed and talented that they can write anywhere at anytime. Of the latter, I am so envious.

2 comments:

  1. We have made only a couple of day trips this summer and I haven't written much more than you. I blame it on summer. Today almost 1200 words, not sure why, other than I am too tired to work in the garden. I kept a word count for 20 months and didn't like the pressure it put on me to keep writing, I'm too old for that, but it did keep me writing. I get to about 200,000 words each year, would like to do more but not sure I have it in me. Hope you get back to writing soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil, if I could get in 200K words a year I'd be done with my book couple years ago. Ha, well that's okay. I relate to your displeasure with pressure. After a Navy career and Government service career with inspections and continual pressure with deadlines one after another, I am fed up with pressure. I move along at a pace that suits me and I don't feel guilty about it. The only thing is it isn't necessarily very productive. Thus, I think you are doing fabulous at 200K a year. I just need to settle in to a new non-babysitting routine to find my writing pace. One of my motivators is I need to write to have something to present to my writing group for critique.

      Delete

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...