Monday, July 17, 2017

Took a Break in Writing


I wrote last week about our vacation and my lack of writing because of it.  It took a bit to get back into the swing of being home and finding a new routine where I could get some wordsmithing in. 

I'm not quite all the way there yet.  I did though get in a couple thousand words that to date are probably some of the best writing I'm done.  So good in fact, that I may have to mess it up a little in order to keep it in the style of the rest of the book.  Or, perhaps I should rewrite the previous 70K words. 

Nah, I'll see if I can improve them in the editing.  Previously, when I got stuck and laid off writing for a bit to figure out what I was going to do, I thought about the dilemma facing me at the time.  That took me through the problem and I came up with a clever bit of plotting to tie things up.

This past June, while on vacation, I hardly gave my book a thought. 

I attended my writer group for my monthly thrashing on the material I submitted before I left on vacation.  They were all so kind and gentle, letting me know it was some of the worst stuff I've put out over the past couple years and I was lovingly encouraged to fix that.  It wasn't the content or story line that was bad.  That they all love.  It was the way I put it (my grammar). 

I have to admit.  I don't do well with putting my modifiers and adjectives where they ought to be; close to the object.  I sometimes feel I have Yoda think.   I turn my wording around and I don't even know Spanish so there is no excuse.  I'm not outwardly handicapped.  I'm handicapped in my writing.   All fixable, of course.

I've been at writing this book for so long family hardly ask me anymore as to how it is going.  Slow, it is going slow.  This break I took from it in June has actually been invigorating now I am back to it.  I can see an end in sight.  I know just where I want to end the book all I have to do is move my protagonist through six more years of his life.  Hey - I can do that.

I know that we are all the same in a different sort of way.  My woes in writing are not strange to some of you.   Perplexing to you prodigies though, like those silky hard-body women doing weight loss ads - who never were over 3% body fat from the day they were born.   That tells us if I can do it, so can you.  I can.  I just have to work at it a little harder.


Thanks for coming by.   Now I will go and try to write the right way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subtlety - An essay

 SUBTLETY   Rarely, if ever, has subtlety been brought up as a topic of discussion during our writing group meetings. I haven't come...